Bad SSL certificate at bioperl.org

Carnë Draug-2
Hi

If you access https://bioperl.org you will get a SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN

The problem is that current certificate is only valid for github.io
domains.

Carnë

Re: Bad SSL certificate at bioperl.org

Peter Cock
As far as I know, using your own domain with
GitHub pages and HTTPS is still not possible.

Peter

Re: Bad SSL certificate at bioperl.org

Hilmar Lapp-5
Not directly, that's correct.  However, there are at least three alternatives, each with various pros and cons.

1) We could front the site with Cloudflare. This would give us a free SSL cert from Cloudflare. It would not redirect http to https, and would require moving DNS for the domain to Cloudflare.

2) Proxy the traffic from Github.io through our Apache server on AWS. This would allow us to redirect http to https, and we'd use a Let's Encrypt SSL cert. For Apache the LE certbot can auto-renew, I think. In essence this is us doing some of what Cloudflare would do, except for DDOS protection, so the site would then have a single point of failure.

3) Use Gitlab Pages for hosting. This would allow SSL certs for custom domains. My understanding is they also support Let's Encrypt for cert renewal, but I haven't tried that yet. Downside is that now we're hosting the repo in a different place than everything else Bioperl. I also don't know about redirecting http to https.

-hilmar

Sent from away

Re: Bad SSL certificate at bioperl.org

Hilmar Lapp-5
No it’s not. It’s the cert Github provides for github.io. It’s a perfectly valid cert but doesn’t match the custom domain name bioperl.org.

  -hilmar

> On Sep 14, 2017, at 5:47 PM, Fields, Christopher J <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I’ll check on this.  I think the cert is run through OBF.
>
> chris
>
> On 9/14/17, 12:34 PM, "Bioperl-l on behalf of Carnë Draug" <bioperl-l-bounces+cjfields=[hidden email] on behalf of [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>    Hi
>
>    If you access https://bioperl.org you will get a SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN
>
>    The problem is that current certificate is only valid for github.io
>    domains.
>
>    Carnë

Hilmar Lapp -:- lappland.io

Re: Bad SSL certificate at bioperl.org

Shyam Saladi
A minor point, but I think that Cloudflare can redirect http to https:

Re: Bad SSL certificate at bioperl.org

Hilmar Lapp-5
I thought activating that option required HTTPS and a valid SSL cert on the source site too. At least that’s what it seemed to be recently when I tried that (with my own website, also currently hosted off of Github Pages).

  -hilmar

On Sep 14, 2017, at 8:10 PM, Shyam Saladi <[hidden email]> wrote:

A minor point, but I think that Cloudflare can redirect http to https:

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 3:18 PM, Hilmar Lapp <[hidden email]> wrote:
Not directly, that's correct.  However, there are at least three alternatives, each with various pros and cons.

1) We could front the site with Cloudflare. This would give us a free SSL cert from Cloudflare. It would not redirect http to https, and would require moving DNS for the domain to Cloudflare.

2) Proxy the traffic from Github.io through our Apache server on AWS. This would allow us to redirect http to https, and we'd use a Let's Encrypt SSL cert. For Apache the LE certbot can auto-renew, I think. In essence this is us doing some of what Cloudflare would do, except for DDOS protection, so the site would then have a single point of failure.

3) Use Gitlab Pages for hosting. This would allow SSL certs for custom domains. My understanding is they also support Let's Encrypt for cert renewal, but I haven't tried that yet. Downside is that now we're hosting the repo in a different place than everything else Bioperl. I also don't know about redirecting http to https.

-hilmar

Sent from away

> On Sep 14, 2017, at 5:42 PM, Peter Cock <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> As far as I know, using your own domain with
> GitHub pages and HTTPS is still not possible.
>
> Peter
>
>> On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 6:10 PM, Carnë Draug <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> If you access https://bioperl.org you will get a SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN
>>
>> The problem is that current certificate is only valid for github.io
>> domains.
>>
>> Carnë

Hilmar Lapp -:- lappland.io

Re: Bad SSL certificate at bioperl.org

Shyam Saladi
Not sure, perhaps there was some change on Cloudflare's side recently. In case it's helpful, my "Crypto" configuration is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/di47zjxp38yw0ar/Crypto_Cloudflare.pdf?dl=0

My personal site is similarly hosted with ghpages, and I set Cloudflare up about a month ago. HTTPS redirection seems to work ok (try http://shyam.saladi.org)

Shyam

On Sep 14, 2017 5:45 PM, "Hilmar Lapp" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I thought activating that option required HTTPS and a valid SSL cert on the source site too. At least that’s what it seemed to be recently when I tried that (with my own website, also currently hosted off of Github Pages).

  -hilmar

On Sep 14, 2017, at 8:10 PM, Shyam Saladi <[hidden email]> wrote:

A minor point, but I think that Cloudflare can redirect http to https:

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 3:18 PM, Hilmar Lapp <[hidden email]> wrote:
Not directly, that's correct.  However, there are at least three alternatives, each with various pros and cons.

1) We could front the site with Cloudflare. This would give us a free SSL cert from Cloudflare. It would not redirect http to https, and would require moving DNS for the domain to Cloudflare.

2) Proxy the traffic from Github.io through our Apache server on AWS. This would allow us to redirect http to https, and we'd use a Let's Encrypt SSL cert. For Apache the LE certbot can auto-renew, I think. In essence this is us doing some of what Cloudflare would do, except for DDOS protection, so the site would then have a single point of failure.

3) Use Gitlab Pages for hosting. This would allow SSL certs for custom domains. My understanding is they also support Let's Encrypt for cert renewal, but I haven't tried that yet. Downside is that now we're hosting the repo in a different place than everything else Bioperl. I also don't know about redirecting http to https.

-hilmar

Sent from away

> On Sep 14, 2017, at 5:42 PM, Peter Cock <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> As far as I know, using your own domain with
> GitHub pages and HTTPS is still not possible.
>
> Peter
>
>> On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 6:10 PM, Carnë Draug <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> If you access https://bioperl.org you will get a SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN
>>
>> The problem is that current certificate is only valid for github.io
>> domains.
>>
>> Carnë

Hilmar Lapp -:- lappland.io

Re: Bad SSL certificate at bioperl.org

Fields, Christopher J

Peter, what is biopython doing re: HTTPS for biopython.org?

chris

From: Bioperl-l <bioperl-l-bounces+cjfields=[hidden email]> on behalf of Shyam Saladi <[hidden email]>
Date: Thursday, September 14, 2017 at 11:01 PM
To: Hilmar Lapp <[hidden email]>
Cc: Peter Cock <[hidden email]>, Bioperl BioPerl <[hidden email]>, Carnë Draug <carandraug+[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: [Bioperl-l] Bad SSL certificate at bioperl.org

Not sure, perhaps there was some change on Cloudflare's side recently. In case it's helpful, my "Crypto" configuration is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/di47zjxp38yw0ar/Crypto_Cloudflare.pdf?dl=0

My personal site is similarly hosted with ghpages, and I set Cloudflare up about a month ago. HTTPS redirection seems to work ok (try http://shyam.saladi.org)

Shyam

On Sep 14, 2017 5:45 PM, "Hilmar Lapp" <[hidden email]> wrote:

I thought activating that option required HTTPS and a valid SSL cert on the source site too. At least that’s what it seemed to be recently when I tried that (with my own website, also currently hosted off of Github Pages).

  -hilmar

On Sep 14, 2017, at 8:10 PM, Shyam Saladi <[hidden email]> wrote:

A minor point, but I think that Cloudflare can redirect http to https:

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 3:18 PM, Hilmar Lapp <[hidden email]> wrote:

Not directly, that's correct.  However, there are at least three alternatives, each with various pros and cons.

1) We could front the site with Cloudflare. This would give us a free SSL cert from Cloudflare. It would not redirect http to https, and would require moving DNS for the domain to Cloudflare.

2) Proxy the traffic from Github.io through our Apache server on AWS. This would allow us to redirect http to https, and we'd use a Let's Encrypt SSL cert. For Apache the LE certbot can auto-renew, I think. In essence this is us doing some of what Cloudflare would do, except for DDOS protection, so the site would then have a single point of failure.

3) Use Gitlab Pages for hosting. This would allow SSL certs for custom domains. My understanding is they also support Let's Encrypt for cert renewal, but I haven't tried that yet. Downside is that now we're hosting the repo in a different place than everything else Bioperl. I also don't know about redirecting http to https.

-hilmar

Sent from away

> On Sep 14, 2017, at 5:42 PM, Peter Cock <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> As far as I know, using your own domain with
> GitHub pages and HTTPS is still not possible.
>
> Peter
>
>> On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 6:10 PM, Carnë Draug <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> If you access https://bioperl.org you will get a SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN
>>
>> The problem is that current certificate is only valid for github.io
>> domains.
>>
>> Carnë

Hilmar Lapp -:- lappland.io

Re: Bad SSL certificate at bioperl.org

Peter Cock
Nothing as yet - I was hoping GitHub Pages would come up
with an officially recommended route as they have a large
and tech-savvy user base who'd use HTTPS.

Peter