BpWrapper: acknowledgements & call for beta-testers

BpWrapper: acknowledgements & call for beta-testers

Weigang Qiu-2
Dear BopPerl developers & users,

We are planning to formally release and write a manuscript on BbWrapper (https://github.com/bioperl/p5-bpwrapper), currently including four command-line utilities (bioseq, bioaln, biotree, biopop) for manipulation of sequences, alignments, and phylogenetic trees.

We would like to ask for your input on the following two issues:
  • How should we properly acknowledge the original developers (since most of the options are wrappers of BioPerl methods, not original codes by ourselves)? Is there an “official” statement of acknowledgement?
  • I would like to invite you for beta-testing, commenting on, and contributing to BbWrapper. This is necessary, because, while we are honored to be hosted by bioperl.org, I have no idea how many (if any, besides ourselves) have tried  or used these wrapper scripts.
We believe the “Wrapper”-approach is more robust than many stand-alone sequence utilities out there because of this community of developers and users. Also, we believe these wrapper scripts could further popularize BioPerl among biologists by relieving them from writing object-oriented module callers.

Thanks,

weigang
----------------
Weigang Qiu, Ph.D. Associate Professor
Department of Biological Sciences
Hunter College of the City University of New York
Belfer Research Building
413 East 69th Street, Room 402
New York, NY 10021
Google Map: https://www.google.com/maps/place/413+E+69th+St,+New+York,+NY+10021/@40.7655886,-73.9561743,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x89c258c3d235f76f:0x4f3d0d5d8a78fe6?hl=en