Google Summer of Code 2015

Fields, Christopher J
All,

OBF and The Perl Foundation are both working on reapplying for the Google Summer of Code.  Note that we will gladly accept Perl 6 related projects as well!

Here is the spot for OBF-specific project ideas:

 http://www.open-bio.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code

Perl-related ones can also be added here:

 http://blogs.perl.org/users/shadowcat_mdk/2015/02/gsoc-2015.html
 http://wiki2.enlightenedperl.org/index.php5?title=2015_Ideas_Page

Re: Google Summer of Code 2015

Mark A. Jensen
(sorry if post comes through twice...)

I think an important project to BP's future is to finally disintegrate
the monolith, with a couple objectives:

- devise a true project plan for this effort with objective, milestones
   and (dare I say it) timelines so that it actually happens
- get all (or all eventual) github repos to install alone (or correctly
   import dependent repos), which is proof that it's happening
- Figure out what 1.7 means and then do it.

Easy for me to say, absolutely, but maybe a student who is also
interested
in getting a little project management education (very marketable)
would
bite on some of it. I would donate some time if another would like to
help co-mentor. Thoughts?

MAJ

On 2015-02-13 23:38, Fields, Christopher J wrote:

> All,
>
> OBF and The Perl Foundation are both working on reapplying for the
> Google Summer of Code.  Note that we will gladly accept Perl 6
> related
> projects as well!
>
> Here is the spot for OBF-specific project ideas:
>
>  http://www.open-bio.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code
>
> Perl-related ones can also be added here:
>
>  http://blogs.perl.org/users/shadowcat_mdk/2015/02/gsoc-2015.html
>  http://wiki2.enlightenedperl.org/index.php5?title=2015_Ideas_Page
>
> chris

Re: Google Summer of Code 2015

Fields, Christopher J
Agree completely (and I could help co-mentor if needed).  But to add, this has been proposed in the past two GSoC with no takers.

I really v1.7 should be the ‘disintegrate the monolith’ series, with no obvious dramatic API changes.  The initial intent was to ditch the alternative dev/stable cycle, but I think for something like this we need a cycle of developer releases.

Might be worth having a Google Hangout or IRC session (#bioperl on freenode) about ideas on this?

chris

> On Feb 16, 2015, at 11:33 AM, Mark Jensen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> (sorry if post comes through twice...)
>
> I think an important project to BP's future is to finally disintegrate
> the monolith, with a couple objectives:
>
> - devise a true project plan for this effort with objective, milestones
>  and (dare I say it) timelines so that it actually happens
> - get all (or all eventual) github repos to install alone (or correctly
>  import dependent repos), which is proof that it's happening
> - Figure out what 1.7 means and then do it.
>
> Easy for me to say, absolutely, but maybe a student who is also interested
> in getting a little project management education (very marketable) would
> bite on some of it. I would donate some time if another would like to
> help co-mentor. Thoughts?
>
> MAJ
>

> On 2015-02-13 23:38, Fields, Christopher J wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> OBF and The Perl Foundation are both working on reapplying for the
>> Google Summer of Code.  Note that we will gladly accept Perl 6 related
>> projects as well!
>>
>> Here is the spot for OBF-specific project ideas:
>>
>> http://www.open-bio.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code
>>
>> Perl-related ones can also be added here:
>>
>> http://blogs.perl.org/users/shadowcat_mdk/2015/02/gsoc-2015.html
>> http://wiki2.enlightenedperl.org/index.php5?title=2015_Ideas_Page
>>
>> chris

Re: Google Summer of Code 2015

Mark A. Jensen

Yes, it will take a certain sort of person. I think an interactive powwow of some kind would be very good. Who out there is interested (Francisco? Leon? )

On Mon, Feb 16, 2015 at 2:54 PM, Fields, Christopher J <[hidden email]> wrote:

Agree completely (and I could help co-mentor if needed).  But to add, this has been proposed in the past two GSoC with no takers.

I really v1.7 should be the ‘disintegrate the monolith’ series, with no obvious dramatic API changes.  The initial intent was to ditch the alternative dev/stable cycle, but I think for something like this we need a cycle of developer releases.

Might be worth having a Google Hangout or IRC session (#bioperl on freenode) about ideas on this?

chris

> On Feb 16, 2015, at 11:33 AM, Mark Jensen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> (sorry if post comes through twice...)
>
> I think an important project to BP's future is to finally disintegrate
> the monolith, with a couple objectives:
>
> - devise a true project plan for this effort with objective, milestones
>  and (dare I say it) timelines so that it actually happens
> - get all (or all eventual) github repos to install alone (or correctly
>  import dependent repos), which is proof that it's happening
> - Figure out what 1.7 means and then do it.
>
> Easy for me to say, absolutely, but maybe a student who is also interested
> in getting a little project management education (very marketable) would
> bite on some of it. I would donate some time if another would like to
> help co-mentor. Thoughts?
>
> MAJ
>

> On 2015-02-13 23:38, Fields, Christopher J wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> OBF and The Perl Foundation are both working on reapplying for the
>> Google Summer of Code.  Note that we will gladly accept Perl 6 related
>> projects as well!
>>
>> Here is the spot for OBF-specific project ideas:
>>
>> http://www.open-bio.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code
>>
>> Perl-related ones can also be added here:
>>
>> http://blogs.perl.org/users/shadowcat_mdk/2015/02/gsoc-2015.html
>> http://wiki2.enlightenedperl.org/index.php5?title=2015_Ideas_Page
>>
>> chris

Google Summer of Code 2015

All,

I have added a few example projects to the Google Summer of Code 2015 page here:

These are carried over mainly from past Summer of Code runs, but we are more than open to accepting alternative projects so feel free to add/edit as needed.

Thanks!

Re: Google Summer of Code 2015

Hilmar Lapp-5
Thanks Chris - I was about to head over and add the bioperl-db project idea on Friday when I saw that some helpful soul had already done so!

  -hilmar

On 2/19/15, 8:47 AM, Fields, Christopher J wrote:
All,

I have added a few example projects to the Google Summer of Code 2015 page here:

These are carried over mainly from past Summer of Code runs, but we are more than open to accepting alternative projects so feel free to add/edit as needed.

Thanks!

Hilmar Lapp -:- lappland.io