Installing Bioperl on a webserver

Michael Stoker
Hi,

I'm trying to install bioperl on my webserver but i'm facing some difficulties to install it.
I created on the root of my server this folder /www/perl where I put all the perl modules.
I followed the online instruction for bioperl :
-cd /www/perl

-wget http://bioperl.org/DIST/BioPerl-1.6.0.tar.gz
-tar xzvf BioPerl-1.6.0.tar.gz

-cd BioPerl-1.6.0/
-perl Build.PL

- ./Build test
- ./Build install

but i get an error :
ERROR: Can't create '/usr/local/bin'
Do not have write permissions on '/usr/local/bin'

And I can't modify the permissions on my server.

I need bioperl for blast and gbrowse.

Any advice would be really helpful on how to install bioperl on a webserver and how my blast and gbrowse can find it?

Kind regards.

Michael.

Re: Installing Bioperl on a webserver

Roy Chaudhuri-3
Hi Michael,

Since you don't have root access, you need to follow the instructions here:

http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/Installing_Bioperl_for_Unix#INSTALLING_BIOPERL_IN_A_PERSONAL_MODULE_AREA

Roy.