Problem with StandAloneBlastPlus

Darío Carballido

Hello,

I’m working with this script that uses StandAloneBlastPlus, and I would like to take advantage of a new feature in the latest releases of blast+, which allows me to present the query coverage in the output (among other values). For that to work, the value of –outfmt needs to be quoted (for example, -outfmt “7 std qcovs”), so I’m passing the outfmt parameter via

-method_args => [ '-outfmt' => '"7 std qcovs"' ]

(I’m using single quotes with doubles inside, so that the double quotes are passed literally).

But when I run it, the quotes seem to get lost and I end up with the error I get when I pass that value without the quotes:

Error: Too many positional arguments (1), the offending value: std

I have tried lots of combinations with single, double quotes, character escaping and I couldn’t find the way to make it work.

Any help?

Thanks,

Darío Carballido

Re: Problem with StandAloneBlastPlus

Ashton Trey Belew

  Hello Dario,
  Below is a portion of a little script which I use for
StandAloneBlast and which uses -m 7.  It doesn't exactly answer your
question, but I hope it will be similar enough to prove helpful.
  My ignorant thought is that you can modify my use of -m to suit your
purpose; but after rereading your message I am guessing you already
tried something similar.
 -Trey

my @params = (-program => 'blastn', -b => $max_hits,
              -I => 't', -a => $processors,
              -database => $library_db, -m => 7,);

my $query_count = 0;
while (my $query_seq = $query_library->next_seq()) {
 $query_count++;
 my $search = new Bio::Tools::Run::StandAloneBlast(
  -_READMETHOD => 'blastxml', @params);
 $search->m(7);
 my $blast_output = new Bio::SearchIO(
  -format => 'blastxml', -verbose => 1,);
 $blast_output = $search->blastall($query_seq,
  -format=>'blastxml', -verbose => 1,);
 my $result_count = 0;
  while (my $result = $blast_output->next_result()) {
  ## Collect alignments
  }  ## End of results by query
}  ## End of queries

On 07/21/2014 11:57 AM, Darío Carballido wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I’m working with this script that uses StandAloneBlastPlus, and I
> would like to take advantage of a new feature in the latest
> releases of blast+, which allows me to present the query coverage
> in the output (among other values). For that to work, the value of
> –outfmt needs to be quoted (for example, -outfmt “7 std qcovs”), so
> I’m passing the outfmt parameter via
>

> -method_args => [ '-outfmt' => '"7 std qcovs"' ]
>

> (I’m using single quotes with doubles inside, so that the double
> quotes are passed literally).
>

> But when I run it, the quotes seem to get lost and I end up with
> the error I get when I pass that value without the quotes:
>

> Error: Too many positional arguments (1), the offending value: std
>

> I have tried lots of combinations with single, double quotes,
> character escaping and I couldn’t find the way to make it work.
>

> Any help?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Darío Carballido

Re: Problem with StandAloneBlastPlus

Darío Carballido
Hello Trey,

Thanks for the answer. StandAloneBlast uses the ncbi legacy programs
(blastall), while StandAloneBlastPlus uses the new NCBI blast+ programs. And
-outfmt in the new programs is kind of the equivalent to -m in the old
blastall.
As a matter of fact, at first I had a script that used StandAloneBlast, and
adapted it to use StandAloneBlastPlus, hoping that I could make use of the
new features and customize the output to include the query coverage.
Now I have a script that performs exactly as the old one but using the new
blast+, but I'm stuck with the output customization thing because I pass the
-outfmt value between quotes, but they seem to disappear somewhere I can't
figure out.

Darío Carballido

  Below is a portion of a little script which I use for
StandAloneBlast and which uses -m 7.  It doesn't exactly answer your
question, but I hope it will be similar enough to prove helpful.
  My ignorant thought is that you can modify my use of -m to suit your
purpose; but after rereading your message I am guessing you already
tried something similar.
 -Trey

my @params = (-program => 'blastn', -b => $max_hits,
              -I => 't', -a => $processors,
              -database => $library_db, -m => 7,);

my $query_count = 0;
while (my $query_seq = $query_library->next_seq()) {
 $query_count++;
 my $search = new Bio::Tools::Run::StandAloneBlast(
  -_READMETHOD => 'blastxml', @params);
 $search->m(7);
 my $blast_output = new Bio::SearchIO(
  -format => 'blastxml', -verbose => 1,);
 $blast_output = $search->blastall($query_seq,
  -format=>'blastxml', -verbose => 1,);
 my $result_count = 0;
  while (my $result = $blast_output->next_result()) {
  ## Collect alignments
  }  ## End of results by query
}  ## End of queries

On 07/21/2014 11:57 AM, Darío Carballido wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I’m working with this script that uses StandAloneBlastPlus, and I
> would like to take advantage of a new feature in the latest
> releases of blast+, which allows me to present the query coverage
> in the output (among other values). For that to work, the value of
> –outfmt needs to be quoted (for example, -outfmt “7 std qcovs”), so
> I’m passing the outfmt parameter via
>

> -method_args => [ '-outfmt' => '"7 std qcovs"' ]
>

> (I’m using single quotes with doubles inside, so that the double
> quotes are passed literally).
>

> But when I run it, the quotes seem to get lost and I end up with
> the error I get when I pass that value without the quotes:
>

> Error: Too many positional arguments (1), the offending value: std
>

> I have tried lots of combinations with single, double quotes,
> character escaping and I couldn’t find the way to make it work.
>

> Any help?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Darío Carballido

Se certificó que el correo no contiene virus.
Comprobada por AVG - www.avg.es
Versión: 2014.0.4716 / Base de datos de virus: 3986/7875 - Fecha de la
versión: 07/18/2014

Re: Problem with StandAloneBlastPlus

Mark A. Jensen

Almost positive this will require a mod in SABP. I will try to have a look. MAJ

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 1:54 PM, Ashton Trey Belew <[hidden email]> wrote:

  Hello Dario,
  Below is a portion of a little script which I use for
StandAloneBlast and which uses -m 7.  It doesn't exactly answer your
question, but I hope it will be similar enough to prove helpful.
  My ignorant thought is that you can modify my use of -m to suit your
purpose; but after rereading your message I am guessing you already
tried something similar.
-Trey

my @params = (-program => 'blastn', -b => $max_hits,
              -I => 't', -a => $processors,
              -database => $library_db, -m => 7,);

my $query_count = 0;
while (my $query_seq = $query_library->next_seq()) {
$query_count++;
my $search = new Bio::Tools::Run::StandAloneBlast(
  -_READMETHOD => 'blastxml', @params);
$search->m(7);
my $blast_output = new Bio::SearchIO(
  -format => 'blastxml', -verbose => 1,);
$blast_output = $search->blastall($query_seq,
  -format=>'blastxml', -verbose => 1,);
my $result_count = 0;
  while (my $result = $blast_output->next_result()) {
  ## Collect alignments
  }  ## End of results by query
}  ## End of queries

On 07/21/2014 11:57 AM, Darío Carballido wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I’m working with this script that uses StandAloneBlastPlus, and I
> would like to take advantage of a new feature in the latest
> releases of blast+, which allows me to present the query coverage
> in the output (among other values). For that to work, the value of
> –outfmt needs to be quoted (for example, -outfmt “7 std qcovs”), so
> I’m passing the outfmt parameter via
>

> -method_args => [ '-outfmt' => '"7 std qcovs"' ]
>

> (I’m using single quotes with doubles inside, so that the double
> quotes are passed literally).
>

> But when I run it, the quotes seem to get lost and I end up with
> the error I get when I pass that value without the quotes:
>

> Error: Too many positional arguments (1), the offending value: std
>

> I have tried lots of combinations with single, double quotes,
> character escaping and I couldn’t find the way to make it work.
>

> Any help?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Darío Carballido

Re: Problem with StandAloneBlastPlus

Mark A. Jensen
This is a bug, and fairly deep. I have made
https://github.com/bioperl/bioperl-run/issues/12.
(I hope that's what we do around here now...)
cheers MAJ

[1]> wrote:

Hello Dario,
Below is a portion of a little script which I use for
StandAloneBlast and which uses -m 7. It doesn't exactly answer your

question, but I hope it will be similar enough to prove helpful.
My ignorant thought is that you can modify my use of -m to suit
your
purpose; but after rereading your message I am guessing you already

tried something similar.
-Trey

my @params = (-program => 'blastn', -b => $max_hits,
-I => 't', -a => $processors,
-database => $library_db, -m => 7,);

my $query_count = 0;
while (my $query_seq = $query_library->next_seq()) {
$query_count++;
my $search = new Bio::Tools::Run::StandAloneBlast(
-_READMETHOD => 'blastxml', @params);
$search->m(7);
my $blast_output = new Bio::SearchIO(
-format => 'blastxml', -verbose => 1,);
$blast_output = $search->blastall($query_seq,
-format=>'blastxml', -verbose => 1,);
my $result_count = 0;
while (my $result = $blast_output->next_result()) {
## Collect alignments
} ## End of results by query
} ## End of queries

On 07/21/2014 11:57 AM, Darío Carballido wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I’m working with this script that uses StandAloneBlastPlus, and
> would like to take advantage of a new feature in the latest
> releases of blast+, which allows me to present the query coverage

> in the output (among other values). For that to work, the value
of
> –outfmt needs to be quoted (for example, -outfmt “7 std
qcovs”), so
> I’m passing the outfmt parameter via
>

> -method_args => [ '-outfmt' => '"7 std qcovs"' ]
>

> (I’m using single quotes with doubles inside, so that the
double
> quotes are passed literally).
>

> But when I run it, the quotes seem to get lost and I end up with
> the error I get when I pass that value without the quotes:
>

> Error: Too many positional arguments (1), the offending value:
std

> I have tried lots of combinations with single, double quotes,
> character escaping and I couldn’t find the way to make it work.

> Any help?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Darío Carballido

Links:
------
[1] [hidden email]

Re: Problem with StandAloneBlastPlus

Mark A. Jensen
Ok Dario,
This should be fixed in the master branch -- you need the fixes in both
bioperl-live and bioperl-run.

  -method_args => [ '-outfmt' => '"7 std qcovs"' ]

should work now, and also the standard factory argument:

  -outformat => '"7 std qcovs"'

(and, as it turns out

  -outformat => '7 std qcovs'

should work. That's a longer story.)

Pls try and let us know-

MAJ

On 2014-07-23 12:13, Fields, Christopher J wrote:

> Yep, that’s where to send it. I’ll post an official (belated)
> announcement.
>
> chris
>
> On Jul 22, 2014, at 10:38 PM, Mark A. Jensen <[hidden email] [9]>
> wrote:
>
>> This is a bug, and fairly deep. I have made
>> https://github.com/bioperl/bioperl-run/issues/12 [6].
>> (I hope that's what we do around here now...)
>> cheers MAJ
>>
>> On 2014-07-21 15:24, Mark A Jensen wrote:
>>
>>> Almost positive this will require a mod in SABP. I will try to
>>> have a
>>> look. MAJ
>>>
>>> On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 1:54 PM, Ashton Trey Belew
>>> <[hidden email] [4]

>>> Links:
>>> ------
>>> [1] mailto:[hidden email] [5]

> Links:
> ------
> [1] mailto:[hidden email]
> [2] http://mailman.open-bio.org/mailman/listinfo/bioperl-l
> [3] mailto:[hidden email]
> [4] mailto:[hidden email]
> [5] mailto:[hidden email]
> [6] https://github.com/bioperl/bioperl-run/issues/12
> [7] mailto:[hidden email]
> [8] http://mailman.open-bio.org/mailman/listinfo/bioperl-l
> [9] mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Problem with StandAloneBlastPlus

Darío Carballido
Hello Mark,

When using

-method_args => [ '-outfmt' => '"7 std qcovs"' ]

It worked perfectly. When using

-outformat => '"7 std qcovs"' (or '7 std qcovs')

I got this:

Argument "outformat" isn't numeric in subtraction (-) at
./new_orthoparahomlist.pl line 180.
Can't use string ("46534816") as an ARRAY ref while "strict refs" in use at
/usr/local/share/perl/5.14.2/Bio/Tools/Run/StandAloneBlastPlus/BlastMethods.
pm line 236.

BlastMethods.pm has been updated properly (I checked before writing).

Thanks for your help,

Darío Carballido

On 2014-07-23 12:13, Fields, Christopher J wrote:

> Yep, that’s where to send it. I’ll post an official (belated)
> announcement.
>
> chris
>
> On Jul 22, 2014, at 10:38 PM, Mark A. Jensen <[hidden email] [9]>
> wrote:
>
>> This is a bug, and fairly deep. I have made
>> https://github.com/bioperl/bioperl-run/issues/12 [6].
>> (I hope that's what we do around here now...)
>> cheers MAJ
>>
>> On 2014-07-21 15:24, Mark A Jensen wrote:
>>
>>> Almost positive this will require a mod in SABP. I will try to
>>> have a
>>> look. MAJ
>>>
>>> On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 1:54 PM, Ashton Trey Belew
>>> <[hidden email] [4]

>>> Links:
>>> ------
>>> [1] mailto:[hidden email] [5]

> Links:
> ------
> [1] mailto:[hidden email]
> [2] http://mailman.open-bio.org/mailman/listinfo/bioperl-l
> [3] mailto:[hidden email]
> [4] mailto:[hidden email]
> [5] mailto:[hidden email]
> [6] https://github.com/bioperl/bioperl-run/issues/12
> [7] mailto:[hidden email]
> [8] http://mailman.open-bio.org/mailman/listinfo/bioperl-l
> [9] mailto:[hidden email]

Se certificó que el correo no contiene virus.
Comprobada por AVG - www.avg.es
Versión: 2014.0.4716 / Base de datos de virus: 3986/7918 - Fecha de la
versión: 07/25/2014

Re: Problem with StandAloneBlastPlus

Mark A. Jensen

Thx Dario, I will have another look this evening
Man

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 1:15 PM, Darío Carballido <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Mark,

When using

On 2014-07-23 12:13, Fields, Christopher J wrote:
> Yep, that’s where to send it. I’ll post an official (belated)
> announcement.
>
> chris
>
> On Jul 22, 2014, at 10:38 PM, Mark A. Jensen <[hidden email] [9]>
> wrote:
>
>> This is a bug, and fairly deep. I have made
>> https://github.com/bioperl/bioperl-run/issues/12 [6].
>> (I hope that's what we do around here now...)
>> cheers MAJ
>>
>> On 2014-07-21 15:24, Mark A Jensen wrote:
>>
>>> Almost positive this will require a mod in SABP. I will try to
>>> have a
>>> look. MAJ
>>>
>>> On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 1:54 PM, Ashton Trey Belew
>>> <[hidden email] [4]

>>> Links:
>>> ------
>>> [1] mailto:[hidden email] [5]

> Links:
> ------
> [1] mailto:[hidden email]
> [2] http://mailman.open-bio.org/mailman/listinfo/bioperl-l
> [3] mailto:[hidden email]
> [4] mailto:[hidden email]
> [5] mailto:[hidden email]
> [6] https://github.com/bioperl/bioperl-run/issues/12
> [7] mailto:[hidden email]
> [8] http://mailman.open-bio.org/mailman/listinfo/bioperl-l
> [9] mailto:[hidden email]

Se certificó que el correo no contiene virus.
Comprobada por AVG - www.avg.es
Versión: 2014.0.4716 / Base de datos de virus: 3986/7918 - Fecha de la
versión: 07/25/2014

Re: Problem with StandAloneBlastPlus

Darío Carballido

You’re right, it was the comma. Sorry!

On 2014-07-23 12:13, Fields, Christopher J wrote:
> Yep, that’s where to send it. I’ll post an official (belated)
> announcement.
>
> chris
>
> On Jul 22, 2014, at 10:38 PM, Mark A. Jensen <[hidden email] [9]>
> wrote:
>
>> This is a bug, and fairly deep. I have made
>> https://github.com/bioperl/bioperl-run/issues/12 [6].
>> (I hope that's what we do around here now...)
>> cheers MAJ
>>
>> On 2014-07-21 15:24, Mark A Jensen wrote:
>>
>>> Almost positive this will require a mod in SABP. I will try to
>>> have a
>>> look. MAJ
>>>
>>> On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 1:54 PM, Ashton Trey Belew
>>> <[hidden email] [4]

>>> Links:
>>> ------
>>> [1] mailto:[hidden email] [5]

> Links:
> ------
> [1] mailto:[hidden email]
> [2] http://mailman.open-bio.org/mailman/listinfo/bioperl-l
> [3] mailto:[hidden email]
> [4] mailto:[hidden email]
> [5] mailto:[hidden email]
> [6] https://github.com/bioperl/bioperl-run/issues/12
> [7] mailto:[hidden email]
> [8] http://mailman.open-bio.org/mailman/listinfo/bioperl-l
> [9] mailto:[hidden email]

Se certificó que el correo no contiene virus.
Comprobada por AVG - www.avg.es
Versión: 2014.0.4716 / Base de datos de virus: 3986/7918 - Fecha de la
versión: 07/25/2014

Se certificó que el correo no contiene virus.
Comprobada por AVG - www.avg.es
Versión: 2014.0.4716 / Base de datos de virus: 3986/7937 - Fecha de la versión: 07/28/2014