Re: Bb-utils

Weigang Qiu-2
Dear BP developers,

We have packaged the initial release (1.0) of bp-utils, which contains two bioperl-based utilities: "bioseq" and "bioaln" (another two utilities, "biopop" and "biotree", are in pre-release cleaning-up)

https://github.com/bioperl/bp-utils/blob/master/bp-utils-current-release.tar.gz

For project description, rationale, and call for developers, please see:

https://github.com/bioperl/bp-utils/blob/master/README.md

Thanks Chris and other for setting up the github access. Please feel free to email me for any feedback and bugs.

cheers,

--
Weigang Qiu

On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 9:59 PM, Fields, Christopher J <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Weigang,

I wonder whether it would be better to have a separate bputils repo in the BioPerl space.  This would allow development to continue w/o tying it directly to a release, and I think would solve the exposure problem much more so than having it included in the main bioperl-live repo.  We could also feasibly include it as part of the main CPAN bioperl release, maybe by simply linking to it as a git submodule and packaging it up.

chris

On Dec 9, 2014, at 3:01 PM, Weigang Qiu <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear BioPerl developers,

I intend to share & (eventually) publish a suite of bioperl-based command-line utilities my lab has developed & found very useful in the past 10 years:

http://diverge.hunter.cuny.edu/labwiki/Bioutils

Hilmar encouraged me to get some feedback & advice from the bioperl-L on how to package and release it properly.

My specific questions are:

1. While it goes naturally with bioperl releases, but I would like it to be more exposed than hidden inside the bp-scripts folder. Do you think these utilities are useful enough to be housed in a separate folder (e.g., "bputils") by itself? I have a developer's account but I haven't commit anything for years.

2. How to make it sustainable (and attract new developers) since we are constantly revising and adding methods. It would be great if become a part of bioperl-live.

Any advice and facilitation will be appreciated!

Weigang Qiu, Ph.D.
Department of Biological Sciences
Hunter College of the City University of New York
695 Park Avenue, New York, NY 10065
Office: <a href="tel:1-212-772-5296" value="+12127725296" target="_blank">1-212-772-5296 (Room 839 Hunter North Building)
Lab: <a href="tel:1-212-772-5721" value="+12127725721" target="_blank">1-212-772-5721 (Room 830 Hunter North Building)
Web:http://diverge.hunter.cuny.edu/labwiki/

Weigang Qiu